So the car has been serviced, the drive to the family holiday destination was uneventful and you've been touring the local sights. Now you are about to drive six hours back home and want to make sure the car is OK.
The simple checks are:
- Make sure the windscreen is clean. Fill up the washer bottle too.
- Check that the tyre pressures are correct ( read the tyre placard inside the door opening or owner's manual). Have a look at the tyres to make sure they are safe to drive on.
- Check and top up the coolant if required. Make sure you do this before you start the engine.
- Check and top up the oil at the same time you check the coolant.
- Get a family member to help check all the exterior lights.
- If you're towing make sure the trailer's tyres are pumped up and that all the lights are working as well. Double check the hitch and the safety chains are connected.
If there isn't an A Grade Automotive Network workshop near you, look for a VACC member business who can help you out.
Most importantly make sure you're right to drive. Take a break before you actually need one. Change drivers. Take your time and be patient.